Sunday, October 16, 2011

Making a Great French Omelette Takes A Bit of Practice First Time Around

QlinArt's French Country Style Omelet vs Chef Jacques Pépin's French Country Style Omelet

Ok, right off the bat, my omelet obviously doesn't look esthetically appealing compared to Chef Jacques Pépin's perfect oval and creamy omelet on the right side of the picture.   However, since I like my omelet to be a little wet and creamy inside, just like Monsieur Pépin likes his, my omelet turned out amazingly rich and delicious with all the butter and fragrance from the chives.   As far as working on the presentation, I can fix that with continuous practice.   I haven't mastered the technique just yet, but I'm convinced that I will soon.  Chef Pépin was not joking when he said at the beginning of his video that making an omelet is quite difficult and that a simple dish like this one is not all it's cracked up to be.

In fact, the 'omelette with chives' that I made this morning was incredibly succulent that I couldn't help myself but to savour it all and not able to leave one bite for any of my loved ones.  How selfish of me, but, hey, when the others aren't present and there's a warm plate of good food waiting around, I ain't wasting it.  You can't eat an omelet after it's been refrigerated.   It needs to be eaten fresh!  Oh, and a little change I made to this omelet was to add a dash of fish sauce instead of salt.  Only Vietnameses would understand the reason of my doing so.  For most who have grown up with Vietnamese families, fish sauce in eggs is exquisite and it is very hard to go back to regular salt when it comes to cooking eggs.

I've included Chef Jacques Pépin's omelet making technique video just below in this post and the simple recipe for you to try out.  Let me know how yours turns out, I would love to hear from you!



Recipe of French Country-Style omelet by Jacques Pépin "au pif":
4 eggs beaten vigorously
pinch of salt
pinch of freshly ground pepper
chopped chives
butter

Follow the technique from the video! Would love to read your comments!

Bon appétit!

No comments: