Saturday, September 3, 2011

Creamy Frothy Milk with Hot Tea

Frothy milk poured into a hot spicy tea is a foodie's delight, like it is the cherry on top of a cake.
In a gastronomical world, who doesn't enjoy the creamy and smooth texture of foamed milk, whether it be dairy, soy, rice or oat milk? I can't think of anyone I know.

The meringue-like delicacy just adds 'umpf' to one's hot drink. Ironically enough, I used to think teas were dubiously boring and would consider them as plain hot water with a tinge of flavour. Zzzzz.... how exciting.

Until I had my first taste of Starbuck's Chai Latte, which had an abundance of smooth frothy milk, I couldn't imagine the variety of amazing tea recipes that are available out there. Many tea lovers would not agree with me, as most of them are pinned down to the idea that teas should be pleasantly sipped unspoiled, which some would amusingly refer to as 'virgin tea'. Although, I completely respect that tradition, I have less empathy for tea amateurs who impose that formality on others. As the Golden rule would say 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you'. In other words, 'leave the heck us alone...' And by the way, I need to say it - I'm no longer a Starbucks consumer for personal reasons, and thus have taken a good habit of concocting my own hot spicy teas with frothy milk! An inexpensive milk aerolatte or frother will do the trick in seconds.

If you are a foodie who loves to taste and truly enjoys 'texture' but doesn't think too much of coffee like my good old self (although I love the aroma of brewing coffee) and appreciates a good hot tea, you definitely must enjoy soothing foamy milk added to your drink. It's a great way to start or end your day.

Before I sign off, many have asked what is the ideal milk temperature which would give the best result of a great foamy texture. I've tried both warm and cold, with both dairy and non dairy (soy, rice, oat) milk and they all turned out heavenly. The only difference is the temperature of your drink, if you prefer it warm or steaming hot. Just let the aerolatte do the work.

Recipe "au pif":

1/4 cup milk (dairy, soy, rice, oat..etc.) per serving

your favourite dark and/or spicy tea

picture in this post I used :

green tea pinch of dry ground ginger

1/4 tsp sweetened cinnamon

2 strands of saffron Star Anise

1 tsp ginseng extract

1/4 cup vanilla flavoured soy milk
It's sweet-scented and delectable.

Share and enjoy!



2 comments:

Christine @knapkins_com said...

Hi Quynh, Great frothy drink! Just in time for fall. Wanted to let you know that we have included this recipe in our food duels on Knapkins. Looking forward to more delicious-ness from you...

Cheers

Christine

PS: is safran french for saffron? Thanks for sharing!

QlinArt said...

hi Knapkins, thanks for the great comment! Frothy milk is the best. And yes Safran is Saffron in French. Thx for picking that up.