Monday, February 9, 2009

Pairing Vanilla and Cardamom in Entremets aux Oeufs

Pairing Vanilla and Cardamom in Entremets aux Oeufs

If you are as fanatic as I am for silky and refreshing desserts like flans, crème caramel or custard, I do believe you will enjoy this Entremets aux Oeufs, fragranced with fresh vanilla bean and cardamom. The combination is out of this world.
Vanilla beans and cardamom pods
*
These little desserts do remind me of my childhood in France, when I was spoiled with France’s best pastries, breads and other luscious treats. It takes me back to the summers I used to spend in Normandy with the family and a few close friends. I can still picture my nanny’s grandma, whom I considered back then as my own grandma as well, walking out of the kitchen and carrying a platter of fresh desserts she had just prepared. To name a few, we had the privilege to savour homemade gateau aux rix, flan patissier, biscuits Bretons…and so many more!

My stomach is growling just the thought of reliving those moments. So I will not continue to tease you and so here is the recipe of this fabulous and refreshing dessert. It’s even better when chilled.

Preparation: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 30-35 minutes

Recipe “au pif”:
400ml (1 2/3 cup) 2% milk
1 vanilla bean
8 cardamom pods, shells removed and seeds grinded with pestle and mortar
3 egg yolks
1 egg
50 grams raw cane sugar

Preheat oven at 285F.

Set on medium high heat, heat a medium-sized sauce pan and bring the milk to a boil. Boil the milk for about 2 minutes.

Using a small sharp knife, cut the vanilla bean lengthwise, and remove the seeds by running the tip of the knife throughout the vanilla bean. Add the vanilla seeds and ground cardamom to the hot milk. Stir and remove from heat. Let milk cool for about 5 minutes.

In a medium sized bowl, beat eggs and sugar with a whisk.

Slowly pour the warm milk through a fine sieve, over the beaten eggs. Stir continuously with the whisk. Remove any excess foam with a fine strainer so that there is hardly any foam left.

Pour the milk and egg mix into 4 small ramequins. Place the ramequins into a large baking dish that is ¼ full with water. Water must not rise more than ½ the height of the ramequins.

Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the desserts are firm.


Serves 4 people.

Serve chilled.

Enjoy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are soo right, I adore vanilla and cardamon, I even put them in my coffee :)

Anonymous said...

I made flan with vanilla bean and lemon zest last week, but I wish I had been clever enough to add cardamom. I think it would have been that much more delicious. Your version looks so silky and gorgeous!

QlinArt said...

flan and lemon zest sounds wonderful too! Thanks for the kind words - it's very silky indeed and oooh so luscious.

Cynthia said...

A most exotic flavouring. Try the combo in an ice cream, you will absolutely love it!

QlinArt said...

I will definitely try it in ice cream! Thanks for the idea Cynthia.