Wednesday, August 13, 2008

So Little Time, So Much To Learn About Food and Cooking!

Healthy, yet very tasty ginger broth with asian greens

"Learning is a kind of natural food for the mind."
Latin version: "Doctrina est ingenii naturale quoddam pabulum"

The day I stop learning is the day I die.

There are endless of fantastic recipes out there of any kinds of food that our world can offer. They can range from very complex gourmet recipes to so simple (still taste gourmet) appetizing recipes, like for this very easy 10 minute vietnamese ginger broth with asian greens.

Preparation: 5 minutes, Cooking time: 5 minutes

Recipe "au pif":
2 cups chopped fresh asian greens (Kai lan, watercress, even zucchinis...any greens you can find in your fridge)
1 large white onion, peeled
1/2 lb ground pork (or boneless pork chop with fat trimmed off)
2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tbsp fish sauce (or to taste)
6 cups of water

Boil water on high heat in large saucepan.

Add in the whole peeled onion, ginger, ground pork and fish sauce. Lower heat to medium high and let simmer until the pork is cooked, for about 5 minutes.

Remove onion, ginger, pork and ginger with a collapsible hand mesh strainer.

Turn off heat and stir in the asian greens. Let it sit for another 5 minutes.

Serve hot as a sidedish.

Serves 4 people.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I just happened to stumble upon your blog and I am completely obsessed. I am Vietnamese too (I think you are...)! I love seeing all this Viet food on your blog because I always beg my mom to teach me how to cok it, but she's really reluctant haha...

Your blog is stunning and your pictures are so pretty too!

QlinArt said...

Thanks so much Michelle for dropping by my blog and being obsessed about it. I'm also pleased to get such kind words from you. I learned vietnamese from my mother, my grandmother, and even my uncles! But then you sort of try to learn on your own, experiment and find blogs like these. Just feel free to try out the recipes on this blog and let me know - I do need feedback from an authentic vietnamese and an expert at vietnamese food tasting ;)