In fact, it reminds me of the french "fromage frais" which is a richer version of cottage cheese. I'm convinced that rich foods means healthier living. Proof, richer -> creamier -> yummier -> happier eater -> healthier soul. This heavenly dessert is anything but unhealthy:
- Almonds and pistachio nuts keep your heart pumping at a sanely rhythmic level.
- Cranberries are loaded with vitamin C (and saves you from embarrassing moments from W.C. discomforts).
- Saffron which gives that extra lift in aroma and a warm yellow colour to a dish, is apparently an aphrodisiac (it is believed that Cleopatra would use saffron in her baths so that lovemaking would be more pleasurable!).
- Yogurt is filled with calcium which helps your knees from 'cracking' loudly every time you crouch.
- AND because it's yogurt and not ice cream, you won't feel an ounce of guilt eating this treat.
Seriously (I must be missing Grey's Anatomy), the liquid from the yogurt needs to be drained off for a good 2-3 hours to get that denser and creamier "fromage frais" texture. Once the yogurt is ready, it doesn't take any more than 15 minutes to whip it up....unless you are slow at cutting and mixing. :)
Preparation time: 10 minutes (add 5-6 minutes if you're grinding the seeds from the cardamom pods in a mortar, if you can't find ready-to-use ground cardamom)
Recipe "au pif":
2 containers of about 750g (26 oz) greek yogurt or wholemilk yogurt (approx. 10% fat)
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp saffron, or to taste (found in any grocery store in the spices section)
1/3 cup icing sugar or to taste
1/2 tsp ground cardamom (found in any asian or arab grocery/spice stores)
4 tbsp coarsely chopped unsalted pistachios
4 tbsp sliced almonds
Dried cranberries or fruits in season (pomegranate is often used in this recipe) to garnish.
Soak cranberries for 30 minutes in warm water. Discard water and put cranberries aside for garnishing.
Hang the yogurt in cheesecloth or kitchen paper towel for about 2-3 hours and drain off liquid.
Meanwhile heat the milk in a small saucepan (for about 8 minutes) or microwave and soak the saffron (for about 3 minutes) until the yogurt is ready.
When the yogurt is fully drained, combine saffron milk, ground cardamom, and icing sugar and add to the yogurt. Mix well until well blended.
Add in the chopped pistachios and sliced almonds.
Transfer into dessert cups or martini glasses, garnish with more pistachios, sliced almonds, and cranberries.
Chill for at least one hour.
Not only is it delicious and refreshing, it's a great palate cleanser if you're preparing yourself for a second dessert!