Sunday, September 9, 2007

Phyllo crust chicken pie "piquante"

Lately, I have been craving for chicken and meat pies. Perhaps, fall is just around the corner and my body is calling for warm and hearty meals. It started right after work last Thursday late afternoon when my stomach started growling like a lion. To calm myself down, I got off one bus stop earlier so that I could get myself something edible and sinful at a local French pâtisserie. Although their cakes and pastries aren't the best I've ever tasted, to my surprise, their chicken and meat pies are incredibly gratifying. While eating one of their rich and buttery chicken pies, I was immediately inspired to make one this weekend. I eliminated the hassle of making the pie crust, by substituting the pie dough with phyllo dough.
Once again, it's simple, yet rich and buttery.

Recipe "au pif":
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp canola oil
3 tsp chicken bouillon (powder) or 2 cubes of chicken bouillon
1 1/2 cups 1% milk
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup flour
2 1/2 cups grilled or roasted chicken breast, sliced or shredded in 2 inch long pieces
1 tsp dry red chili flakes or 1 chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
3-4 phyllo sheets (each brushed with oil)
salt and pepper

Preheat oven at 350F.

Cook mushrooms, peas and carrots in butter and oil in a big skillet or saucepan.
When mushrooms are cooked, remove from heat.
Using whisk, stir in salt and tons of pepper (about 1 1/2 tbsp), bouillon, milk and water.
Slowly add the flour, whisking the whole time.
Cook on medium-low heat until the mixture thickens and gets bubbly.
Stir in chicken and warm through (about 5 minutes stirring).
Before baking, stir in red chili flakes or pickled jalapeno pepper.

Pour in chicken mixture in baking pan and cover with phyllo sheets. Fold and tuck in edges of the phyllo dough.

Bake for about 30 minutes or until phyllo crust is golden brown.

Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments: