Saturday, September 1, 2007

Moist Banana and Tofu cake

First time I had this cake, it reminded me of a "pain perdu"style cake that a relative of mine from France used to make for me when I was wee high. Mind you, I'm still wee high, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying as much good food as I can. My high school friend Sandra gave me this recipe one day, and I was so pleased to have found the texture of this cake to be similar to the delicious cakes I had in France, dense, yet very moist. This cake is nice and moist when first made but should be eaten within a few days if not frozen because it tends to dry out fairly quickly. But it freezes very well if you'd like to save some for later days. If you don't like walnuts or are allergic to any types of nuts, you can add raisins or dried cranberries (soaked in warm water for about 30 minutes, to moisten them). Great thing about this dessert, it has no eggs!

Recipe "au pif":
Soft tofu (size of 2 large eggs)
1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
1/4 cup soya milk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup raw cane sugar (or cassonade)
1 1/2 - 2 cups mashed bananas (the more the better - makes the cake moist)
1 cup soft white flour
1 cup soft wholes wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup walnuts (or raisins, dried cranberries soaked in warm water to swell them up)

Makes one 9-inch loaf.

Blend the tofu in blender or processor until smooth.
Add oil, sugar, and vanilla and blend again.
In a separate bowl, combine the mashed bananas, lemon juice and soya milk. If you don't have soya milk, blend a little tofu with water until you get the texture of milk.
In another bowl, combine the white and whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and chopped walnuts (or raisins, cranberries).
Alternately add dry then liquid ingredients to tofu mixutre. Mix with a spatula until well combined.
Oil a 9 x 3 1/2 inch loaf pan, or simply use a silicone pan (marvelous invention - it doesn't stick!). Fill the pan with the batter and bake at 325F about 50 minutes or 40 minutes (in convection oven) or until knife comes out clean.

Because this cake is not overly sweet that can only be eaten as a dessert, its lightly and naturally sweet taste (from the bananas) makes this cake enjoyable to eat for breakfast, with plain yogurt and fruits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! A real treat. I found that I needed an extra half hour in the oven with some tinfoil over the cake so it wouldn't burn though.

QlinArt said...

Thank you! :-)